I hope to attend this, which is going on this Saturday.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY NOVEMBER 9, 2009
TORONTO WOMEN'S BOOKSTORE presents...
WRITTEN in COLOUR:
A Symposium for Indigenous writers and writers of colour
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 14
9am to 5pm
Potluck dinner 5pm to 7pm
Open mic and performances 7pm to 9pm
918 Bathurst Street (across from Bathurst Station)
$30 to $50 sliding scale
Or $15 - $30 sliding scale in advance, pre-registration available at the TWB
www.womensbookstore.com 416 922-8744
Wheelchair accessible. All TWB events are trans-inclusive. ALL WELCOME.
The 4th Written in Colour Writers' Symposium is a full-day event featuring new and emerging Indigenous writers and writers of colour. The symposium is specifically geared towards new and emerging Indigenous writers and writers of colour, however EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ATTEND.
Through the Written in Colour workshops, emerging writers will develop their skills and knowledge as artists and learn from professional writers, playwrights, performers,
artists, arts educators, grant officers, and publishers.
Choose from eleven hands-on workshops:
- Own the Stage!: Playwriting and How to Get Your Play Produced with Alec Butler
- How to Get Published and Work with Your Publisher with Marc Cote, Cormorant Books
- Ontario Arts Council Grant Writing for Writers with Bushra Junaid and John Degen, O.A.C.
- Writing Eros: Erotic Writing with Tamai Kobayashi
- Writing Memory, Writing the Body with Rozena Maart
- Theatre of the Oppressed Theatre of Cruelty with Rozena Maart
- Writing for Performance with Naila Keleta Mae
- Conjuring Story from Our Reality with Lee Maracle
- Writing Life: Memoir Writing with Dianah Smith
- Poetry and Editing with Kinnie Starr
- Voice in Writing with Mariko Tamaki
- Piecing Together People Of Colour / Indigenous Relationships with Gein Wong and Kenji Tokawa of the Asian Arts Freedom School
Listen to the theory behind the practice at the opening plenary panel with Rozena Maart, Lee Maracle and Mariko Tamaki.
Join us in the evening for performances by Chromatically Correct, Kinnie Starr and MataDanZe plus an open mic where Written in Colour participants will share their work.
To attend open mic and performances ONLY (7pm to 9pm): $5 - $10 sliding scale.
We encourage all participants and attendees to bring food to share during the open mic for a community dinner pot-luck style!
For media inquires please contact Corrie Sakaluk, WRITTEN in COLOUR co-ordinator 416-922-8744 c: 647.835.2725 [email protected]