A lot has been said about Syria since the popular uprising started in March 2011.
In what follows I present 10 myths that have been circulating around since the very beginning. Many of these myths are, unfortunately, still being reinforced by many Western journalists and left-leaning anti-imperialism activists.
1. The United States and its allies have been supplying arms to the Syrian armed opposition.
2. The fighting that has been taking place in Syria has an entirely sectarian nature and as such can be accurately described as a civil war.
3. Assad and his regime have been the most hard-core supporters of the Palestinian resistance. That explains why they are being targeted by Israel (and the West). It is simply a Western conspiracy against Syria.
4. All members of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) are Islamic extremists (also described as hard-core Salafists) who swore allegiance to either Qatar or Saudi Arabia.
5. The FSA has a single command structure and takes instructions from a single military council.
6. The FSA is exclusivity composed of Sunni Muslims.
7. All Shabiha belong to the Alawite minority.
8. The Syrian uprising was militarized from day one.
9. The Syrian army doesn't target civilians.
10. Most of the anti-regime fighters are foreigners.
There, of course, could more. If you don't agree with some, or if you think I missed few others, you can leave your comments in the comment section below.
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.