ARTICLE 9: PROVINCIAL OFFICERS
9.01 (1) (a) The Officers of the Provincial Party elected by the Convention shall consist of: Leader; President; Six Vice-Presidents (3 female and 3 male); and Treasurer
- With the exception of the Leader, and the Secretary, the Officers shall be elected by Convention.
- The Leader shall be elected by a vote of the membership of the Party.
(2) The Provincial Executive shall hire the Provincial Secretary. The Provincial Secretary shall be an Officer of the Party. The Executive’s decision to hire must be ratified by Provincial Council.
(3)A member of the Federal Parliament or the Provincial Legislature may not be President or Secretary except that a President or Secretary who is elected to the House of Commons or the Legislative Assembly during his/her term of office may complete that term.
(4) When the Leader is unable to attend meetings of Executive or of any committee of Executive to which the Leader belongs, the Leader shall have the authority to appoint a Designate to act in her/his absence. This Designate shall be counted for quorum purposes and have the same authority as the Leader to participate in decisions, except that the Designate shall not vote.”
- (a) Every member is entitled to cast a ballot for the election of the Leader.
- The ballots cast by Party members shall be weighted to a total of 75% of the votes counted in a Leadership election, and the balance, 25% of the votes counted in a Leadership election, shall be allocated among the affiliated members.
- At every regular convention that is not a leadership convention, a secret ballot vote will be held to determine whether or not a leadership election should be called. If a majority of the voting delegates supports the calling of a leadership election, such an election will be held within one year of the convention vote.
- The Leader will be chosen by secret ballot. Candidates for the leadership with the fewest number of weighted votes will drop off the ballot in subsequent rounds until one candidate receives a majority of the total weighted votes cast in that round. Other leadership selection procedures will be determined by Provincial Council.
10.01 The Provincial Executive shall consist of:
(2) Nine women and nine men, no more than five of whom shall be Members of Parliament or Members of the Legislative Assembly at the time of their nomination to the Provincial Executive. Of the nine women and nine men, six women and six men shall be elected on a regional basis. The Provincial Council may determine the boundaries of the regions.
(3) One woman and one man, representing the ONDY, one of whom will serve as the Federal Council Youth Delegate from Ontario.
(4) Two women, representing the ONDP Women’s Committee.
(5) One woman and one man, representing the Ethnic Committees.
- One woman and one man representing the ONDP Lesbian, Gay and Trans-identified Committee.
- One man and one woman representing the Disability Rights Committee
- One man and one woman representing the Aboriginal Section.
10.02 a) Provincial Officers and Members-at-Large shall be elected by Convention and vacancies shall be filled by Provincial Council with the exception of Provincial Leader.
b) Regional caucuses, the ONDY, the ONDP Women's Committee, Disability Rights Committee, Ethnic Committees, and the ONDP Lesbian, Gay and Trans-identified Committee, and the Aboriginal Section shall choose their own representatives to Provincial Executive and shall fill vacancies as they arise.
(2) (a) When the position of Leader is vacant, or when the Leader has announced his or her intention to resign as Leader, the Provincial Council may elect an Interim Leader.
(b) When the Provincial Executive chooses to nominate a person for Interim Leader, it must first consult with the Party's Caucus in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. Nominations from the floor of Provincial Council shall also be accepted.
(c) An Interim Leader may attend and speak at all meetings of the Provincial Executive and Provincial Council but is not entitled to a vote.
10.03 Any member absenting himself/herself from three consecutive meetings of the Executive without a reason- able excuse shall be deemed to have vacated his/her office.
10.04 A quorum of the Provincial Executive shall be one-third of its members.