Coronavirus crisis: for a national rent strike now!

157 posts / 0 new
Last post
Douglas Fir Premier

Pondering wrote:

They should definitely be highlighting the issues of the less fortunate in life but they should be doing it from a place of knowledge of what their actual needs are right now. A rent strike is not what they need. They are not thinking about climate change right now or rights and dignity. Whatever level of poverty they are suffering they just don't want to catch Covid-19 on top of their current misery.

They should be looking into conditions for the homeless right now and making suggestions for them and for people who are addicted to hard drugs.

 

Who exactly do you imagine has been organizing these rent strikes? Some champagne socialists? That you would assume that the very people who have been working around the clock on this for the past week and a half are not the exact same people who have spent years organizing for tenants' rights, organizing against evictions, organizing for affordable housing, organizing for living wages, organizing for liveable social assistance rates, organizing for harm reduction and safe consumption sites shows just how divorced you are from any on the ground organizing.

Participate in the strike, or don't. Support it, or don't. That's entirely your call. But you're really talking out your ass here.

Paladin1

Alberta taking a reasonable approach to the rent situation that appears to take landlords position into consideration as well.

Quote:
Civil enforcements of evictions will be suspended for a month.

"No one in Alberta will be evicted for non-payment of rent in the month of April," Glubish said.

"Eviction protection will continue thereafter for the duration of the public emergency for tenants who work with landlords to establish meaningful and reasonable partial payment plans."

Quote:

However, Kenney stressed that he expected that financial relief be used to pay rent.

"Both the renters and the landlords will be obliged to take into account the financial supports they are getting from the federal and provincial governments," he said.

Kenney also stressed that the emergency measures would be voided if a tenant committed a crime or caused damage inside a landlord’s property.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/new-landlord-restrictions-announced-in-alber...

Pondering

Douglas Fir Premier wrote:

Who exactly do you imagine has been organizing these rent strikes? Some champagne socialists? That you would assume that the very people who have been working around the clock on this for the past week and a half are not the exact same people who have spent years organizing for tenants' rights, organizing against evictions, organizing for affordable housing, organizing for living wages, organizing for liveable social assistance rates, organizing for harm reduction and safe consumption sites shows just how divorced you are from any on the ground organizing.

Participate in the strike, or don't. Support it, or don't. That's entirely your call. But you're really talking out your ass here.

I didn't assume anything about "who they are". I don't care who they are . It's immaterial to what they are promoting now which is very bad for anyone who takes their advice which they might if they know evictions are not being permitted. 

All organizations need to adjust their message to the current emergency situation ensuring that what they are promoting won't harm people living in poverty. 

https://taxpage.com/articles-and-tips/de-taxers/freemen-on-the-land/

The murder of constable Daniel Woodall by a self styled Freeman on the Land is the latest tragedy by a member of one of the groups that tries to opt out of normal societal conventions and laws. In September 2013 Calgary police arrested Andreas Pirelli, another Freeman on the Land, who had claimed his rental property was an “embassy” and refused to pay rent or grant his landlord access to the property. One of the hallmarks of these movements is their refusal to comply with tax obligations.

While most Canadians will file their tax returns by April 30 every year and pay the taxes owing, some may be tempted not to file on the basis of schemes being marketed saying that Canadians don’t have to submit tax returns or pay taxes. This is wrong and will lead to heavy fines and to jail time.

Donald Baudais was sentenced in 2014 to pay fines equal to 100% of the income tax evaded, 100% of the GST tax evaded, and 6 months in jail, despite the fact that his spouse is suffering from the aftermath of brain cancer and chemotherapy, for counseling people not to pay taxes using the discredited and bogus Paradigm Educational Group teachings that "natural persons" do not have to pay income tax, a theory referred to as "nonsense" by the courts.

Calling it a rent "strike" makes no difference. It will still get you evicted the moment the ban is lifted. 

Douglas Fir Premier
epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

epaulo13 wrote:

..for years landlords have worked to remove rent controls and tenant rights. for years landlords have ruled the roost. many gouged and offered substandard housing. for years governments have backed away from their responsibility to create affordable housing..leaving it up to the markets. things have been stacked against tenants for as long as i've been politically aware. 

..this strike is about tenants surviving not landlord survival. in a time when governments are still bailing out oil and gas, for instance, after umpteen years of support subsidies.  

..we are not all in this together. power is still in power and continues to look to rigging the game. so no moral lectures please.

..one of the reason i objected to the lumping in of sean to what i describe is that it ignores the class issue which is very relevant to these times and to this pandemic. 

..a surge in austerity policy occurred after the 2007-08 economic global collapse. the reason for this surge answered the question of who was going to pay for that collapse. so while governments bailed out capital it was austerity for the masses.

..we have a similar situation today in relation to this crisis. the landlords will want to recover their losses after the pandemic. this is again a who of will pay for this crisis question. certainly lost wages will never be recovered yet tenants will be asked to make the landlords whole. 

..this must be..this will be resisted.  

Pondering

The money the government is giving people is intended to cover paying rent. Not all landlords, even big ones, are evil or wealthy. They are often carrying large morgages that they can't afford to pay without tenants. They still have to pay their morgages and building expenses. 

In any case my point is even if they are evil and the system is unfair anyone who doesn't pay their rent will be evicted i the summer and they will not have the sympathy of the general public who will say they should have paid their rent. A lease is a legal contract. 

In the end nobody is going to join your rent strike that isn't willing to risk their home. The damage is that it makes "the left" look ridiculous because society is not ready for the message you are sending. There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes. 

As a small example. Montreal is providing shelter to the homeless and they are putting up tents to feed the homeless in areas where they congregate. I'd like to hear the justification for removing the supports after this is done. The homeless still need a safe place to sleep and food. 

In Vancouver I think they are planning opioid replacement for addicts. What is the justification and what is the validity of taking it away once this is over. 

There are battles to be fought that can be won and will directly improve the lives of workers in material ways. This is the moment to push free transit as it helps everyone middle class and down. It is as good as a raise. That would be a concrete way to help workers. 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..my step daughter pays $1300 a month for 450 sq ft. that's not evil that's capitalism. that's market forces.

kropotkin1951

It seems that people are trying to fix a broken system using the inadequate vehicle of an emergency pandemic aid package. The best answer is to send all Canadians money so that they can pay their bills no matter whether it is a mortgage or rent or hydro. I have joked for years that I pay the banks every month for the privilege of claiming I own my home.

Many retired people also have small side incomes that help put food on the table or pay for medications. Nothing in an emergency aid package that is targeted will address them either because its not like they claim it on taxes or pay CPP on their craft sales income.  A basic income for all is sounding better all the time as a solution to the financial pain being caused by self isolation.

Misfit Misfit's picture

epaulo13 wrote:

..my step daughter pays $1300 a month for 450 sq ft. that's not evil that's capitalism. that's market forces.

And what the government is offering with their package will cover the cost of her rent and then little else. For many people it is not a realistic or sustainable living allowance. If it were there would be no screams from so many for a rent freeze.

cco

Pondering wrote:

In any case my point is even if they are evil and the system is unfair anyone who doesn't pay their rent will be evicted i the summer and they will not have the sympathy of the general public who will say they should have paid their rent. A lease is a legal contract. 

In the end nobody is going to join your rent strike that isn't willing to risk their home. The damage is that it makes "the left" look ridiculous because society is not ready for the message you are sending. There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes. 

It's funny, isn't it, how "society" only seems to care about keeping the wealthy wealthy? It's simultaneously "unrealistic" for the working class to expect jobs that give them living wages, because of "market conditions" and the modern globalized world and so forth, but when those same market conditions make it impossible for tenants to pay landlords, it's "unrealistic" to expect those landlords to miss a single cheque. The wealth all concentrates at the top, and anything that threatens that is old-fashioned/discredited/unrealistic/communist/off-putting to the pearl-clutching suburban Liberal/Tory swing voter.

If millions of Canadians are facing bankruptcy, eviction, and the evaporation of whatever mediocre standard of living they've managed to scrape out, do you think their first priority will still be making sure their landlord can buy another building to jack up rental prices on? Maybe it will; I don't have a crystal ball. But the assumption that everyone's sympathies will be with the 1% as their lives crumble is just that – an assumption.

NDPP

For A Strike To Be Successful Unity Is Key: Sign Up To Strike!

https://twitter.com/CND_Dimension/status/1243738558789230592

"Keep your money. Cancel rent."

Pondering

cco wrote:
Pondering wrote:

In any case my point is even if they are evil and the system is unfair anyone who doesn't pay their rent will be evicted i the summer and they will not have the sympathy of the general public who will say they should have paid their rent. A lease is a legal contract. 

In the end nobody is going to join your rent strike that isn't willing to risk their home. The damage is that it makes "the left" look ridiculous because society is not ready for the message you are sending. There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes. 

It's funny, isn't it, how "society" only seems to care about keeping the wealthy wealthy? It's simultaneously "unrealistic" for the working class to expect jobs that give them living wages, because of "market conditions" and the modern globalized world and so forth, but when those same market conditions make it impossible for tenants to pay landlords, it's "unrealistic" to expect those landlords to miss a single cheque. The wealth all concentrates at the top, and anything that threatens that is old-fashioned/discredited/unrealistic/communist/off-putting to the pearl-clutching suburban Liberal/Tory swing voter.

If millions of Canadians are facing bankruptcy, eviction, and the evaporation of whatever mediocre standard of living they've managed to scrape out, do you think their first priority will still be making sure their landlord can buy another building to jack up rental prices on? Maybe it will; I don't have a crystal ball. But the assumption that everyone's sympathies will be with the 1% as their lives crumble is just that – an assumption.

You don't read very well.  I said within that post "There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes." and started a thread with suggestions that would actually help people financially rather than getting them evicted to make some point about "the man".  

Pondering

cco wrote:
Pondering wrote:

In any case my point is even if they are evil and the system is unfair anyone who doesn't pay their rent will be evicted i the summer and they will not have the sympathy of the general public who will say they should have paid their rent. A lease is a legal contract. 

In the end nobody is going to join your rent strike that isn't willing to risk their home. The damage is that it makes "the left" look ridiculous because society is not ready for the message you are sending. There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes. 

It's funny, isn't it, how "society" only seems to care about keeping the wealthy wealthy? It's simultaneously "unrealistic" for the working class to expect jobs that give them living wages, because of "market conditions" and the modern globalized world and so forth, but when those same market conditions make it impossible for tenants to pay landlords, it's "unrealistic" to expect those landlords to miss a single cheque. The wealth all concentrates at the top, and anything that threatens that is old-fashioned/discredited/unrealistic/communist/off-putting to the pearl-clutching suburban Liberal/Tory swing voter.

If millions of Canadians are facing bankruptcy, eviction, and the evaporation of whatever mediocre standard of living they've managed to scrape out, do you think their first priority will still be making sure their landlord can buy another building to jack up rental prices on? Maybe it will; I don't have a crystal ball. But the assumption that everyone's sympathies will be with the 1% as their lives crumble is just that – an assumption.

You don't read very well.  I said within that post "There are a ton of legitimate in the sense of attainable ways of forcing concrete changes." and started a thread with suggestions that would actually help people financially rather than getting them evicted to make some point about "the man".  

Also, this is about having a rent strike now, while cheques are in the mail, not at some future point in time. Canadians know those cheques are supposed to cover paying rent and most will do so. They will not sympathize with some people just deciding they don't want to use the money to pay rent. 

NDPP

Are you a landlord?

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

There is an alternative

Apparently there is an alternative. The events of the past few weeks make it obvious that the mantra of neoliberalism – the idea that there is no alternative to market rule – is not only a lie, but a lie that employers and investors show no shame in abandoning the moment their bottom lines are seriously threatened.

The coronavirus pandemic, while not the root of economic troubles, has triggered an unprecedented economic collapse. Economists are saying unemployment could rise to 30%. That’s higher than during the Great Depression. At the worst of the 2008-9 financial crash, GDP fell 4.5%. Last week a forecaster at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis said GDP could soon fall by 50%.

Amid the wreckage, whole industries beg for public money. Governments order businesses what to make in the public interest. Central banks fire up the money-printing machines, announcing there is no limit to what they’re willing to spend.

As the crisis exposes dirty secrets of capitalism normally hidden under the laws and rhetoric of business-as-usual, a window has been flung open through which it’s easier to see not simply the irrationality and brutality of capitalism, but the fact that market rule is not the only way to organize society.

The organized Left can play an important role in holding open that window, and interpreting what we see through it. By listening to people’s experience of the crisis, campaigning for concrete demands, and engaging in processes of collective learning, we can help clarify the nature of capitalism’s contradictions, and widen the political space necessary to achieve real alternatives......

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

NDPP

Cancel Rent Now!

https://www.cancelrentnow.ca/

"840,000 voices are calling for rent and mortgage relief during COVID-19. Send a tweet. Send an email..."

NDPP

"The federal government must act immediately to suspend rent, utility bills and mortgage payments and impose a moratorium on evictions across the country."

https://twitter.com/NDP/status/1244651048670842880

On April 1, don't pay what you can't afford.

 

Douglas Fir Premier

From the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives...

Struggling homeowners not your typical landlord: The case for rent forgiveness

 

Pondering

What is the rationale for not paying your rent when the government is giving you money to pay your rent. Should they just pay the rent directly to the landlord? 

Douglas Fir Premier
laine lowe laine lowe's picture

epaulo13 wrote:

Wow, good one!

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

This is Crystal Stella Becerril, a tenant in Brooklyn, speaking to PIX News.

CRYSTAL STELLA BECERRIL: Asking them to reduce our rent by a minimum of 50%, beginning April 1st, so this Wednesday, with the possibility up to 100% rent reduction or forgiveness for those tenants who have completely lost all forms of income and won’t be able to pay. … We’re standing in solidarity with those who can’t, because we know that if three people in a building of 36 can’t pay rent, those people will be taken to court and be evicted. But if we stand in solidarity with them, the chances of that happening are reduced.

Paladin1

Pondering wrote:

What is the rationale for not paying your rent when the government is giving you money to pay your rent. Should they just pay the rent directly to the landlord? 

 

Good question.

 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..no it's not a good question. it lacks detail. like when or even if people will receive the money. and how much will they receive. governments are full of promises that they don't follow through on or is never enough.

..it's a question that is full of assumptions without understand the reality of what people are living through.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..with all the austerity and cutbacks that have been going on for umpteen years there just isn't the system that can deal with such volumes.and the numbers keep climbing. which is why things like ei is jammed up. so all you hear about is the promises made and not the follow through.

Paladin1

epaulo13 wrote:

..no it's not a good question. it lacks detail. like when or even if people will receive the money. and how much will they receive. governments are full of promises that they don't follow through on or is never enough.

..it's a question that is full of assumptions without understand the reality of what people are living through.

Do you think the people who recieve the $2000 a month(cerb) benefit should pay rent?

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..don't play games. you tell me who is getting $2000 a month?

..i live on a pension and i don't get 2000 a mon.

Paladin1

Quote:
Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA. The CERB supports Canadians by providing urgently needed financial support to employed and self-employed Canadians who have been directly affected by COVID-19. It provides a payment of $2,000 for a 4 week period (equivalent to $500 a week) for up to 16 weeks.

Quote:

Once you apply, you can expect to get your payment in 3 business days if you have signed up for direct deposit, and approximately 10 business days if you haven’t signed up for direct deposit.

If your situation continues, you can re-apply for a payment for multiple 4-week periods, to a maximum of 16 weeks (4 periods).

Do you think someone who recieves the CERB benefit should use it towards paying their rent or still take part in the rent strike?

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..again who has received this money? no one as yet is the correct answer. when will they get it? no one knows is the correct answer? and i doubt it's equivalent across the board.

eta: when the us passed it's support budget it was run through the irs instead of social security. this was highly criticized because it would be a way to means test. i suspect it's the same here.

Pondering

They could decide to empty the building, renovate and hike the rent or sell the building for condos or get a management company to rent it out as a Airb&b.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..or not. people's backs are against the wall and they will do what they need to do..today. let's not suggest that strikers are scammers.

Paladin1

*If* someone hypothetically recieves $2000 a month (in 3 days from now) through the CERB benefit do you think part of that money should go towards paying said persons rent, or should they still take part in a rent strike and not give landlords a dime?

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..that's where your playing a game. it's your way of discounting the strike. let's try and deal with reality.

Paladin1

No games played here. I think it's a very relevent question to ask people who are supporting the strike.

People are being told they should strike because people don't have enough money to eat AND pay rent. The government is saying they're going to give people $2000 a month for 4 months to help them.

So it's a fair question to ask if said renters are getting $2000 a month from the government should that money be spent, at least in part, on rent? Or should they pocket the whole $2000 and not pay a dime of rent. I'm sure you can see how entitled it would make these strikers appear if it's a case of the latter.

 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

People are being told they should strike because people don't have enough money to eat AND pay rent. The government is saying they're going to give people $2000 a month for 4 months to help them.

..and you don't have anything to back that up except what you posted..a press release. gov press releases weren't good enough for you a month ago yet today your using it as gospel. why because you don't like the strike. that's a game. come back when people are getting 2000 chqs and you know those people struck and their circumstances.

..your winging it. your being judgemental. your being a conservative.

Pondering

epaulo13 wrote:

..that's where your playing a game. it's your way of discounting the strike. let's try and deal with reality.

It's a fair question.  Money is being given to people specifically so they can continue to pay their rent with the goal being to prevent evictions of low income workers.

You say "or not".  Given that you think they are terrible people (not saying you are wrong) why would they suddenly become generous and just forgive the rent? Toronto and Montreal are both very tight rental markets in part because apartments and condos are serving as Airbnbs because they make much more money for landlords. It's very difficult to evict people. Not paying rent is one of the few justifications they can use.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..it's not a fair question because you don't know this will actually happen in the manner you say it will. the blame cycle always travels downward and your trying to create an imaginary line and relating it to the strike. the connection hasn't been made.

Paladin1

epaulo13 wrote:

..your winging it. your being judgemental. your being a conservative.

Here is a link to the CRA government website about the $2000 benefit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/apply-for-cerb...

I remember you saying your daughter was choosing not to take part in the rent strike. Some of the information on this webpage may be valuable to her. People can start applying 6 April and it looks like it takes 3 days to process. The web page tells you who can apply and how they go about doing it. Have a good evening sir.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..txs. i sent her a link last week. 

Pondering

epaulo13 wrote:

..it's not a fair question because you don't know this will actually happen in the manner you say it will. the blame cycle always travels downward and your trying to create an imaginary line and relating it to the strike. the connection hasn't been made.

You know if you jump in the water you will get wet even if you aren't in it yet. The normal procedure is for landlords to evict tenants who do not pay their rent. There is no reason for them to become suddenly generous and say people don't have to pay their rent for X months when the government is giving people money to pay their rent.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..we already know that landlords will try and evict. i posted a piece in the other thread that dealt with the economic crisis we are facing and that included landlords will increase evictions. this piece had nothing to do with the rent strike but stated what they believed to be the landlords political/economic positions. this piece was about what the powers that be were doing to protect themselves and pass on the costs downward. also taking advantage of the situation to profit from it. 

..so we know down the road people will be facing eviction strike or not. and that is why there is a thread that you started pondering..on organising ourselves.

..that said the strike is about surviving now..today. that is where the crisis is..in the here and now. you can talk about the gov paying people all you want but that is not here and now. 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

Strong majority want government to halt rent, mortgage, and utility payments during COVID-19 crisis. - BCGEU

The results demonstrate people support new measures to protect them financially:

  • 69 per cent of Canadians expect to lose some income due to the COVID-19 outbreak
  • 72 per cent of Canadians think the Government of Canada should halt all rent, mortgage, and utility payments.
  • 64 per cent think that banks and financial institutions should not be allowed to charge interest on mortgages deferred because of COVID-19

"This poll backs up what we've been saying for weeks: the federal government needs to act now and halt mortgage, rent and utility payments," says BCGEU president Stephanie Smith. 

"These results are a wake-up call for governments across Canada. No matter where they live, how old they are, how much money they make, or who they vote for -- people want the federal government to guarantee that they won’t lose their homes or be financially ruined because of the pandemic," notes North99 co-founder Geoff Sharpe.

“This crisis is hurting Canadians financially and many are scared of what could come next, especially with the lack of affordable housing across the country. While the federal government has introduced some welcome initiatives to ease the financial crisis for people, we need another bold step: we need a national housing plan for mortgage and rent relief to protect people from the economic fallout of COVID-19,” says Larry Brown, President of the National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE). 

The poll, conducted by Research Co., on behalf of NUPGE/BCGEU and North99 is the first poll on the subject the firm has compiled since the crisis began. 

Support for a halt to mortgage, rent and utility payments is consistently strong across traditional party, demographic and regional divides. This shows that a strong majority of Canadians are united in wanting the government of Canada to take action immediately.

“Public support for a measure that would stop all rent, mortgage, and utility payments because of the COVID-19 outbreak is high across the entire country, but especially in Alberta (79%), Ontario (73%) and British Columbia (72%). Two thirds of Canadians believe the federal government should follow the lead of other European countries and allow residents who are already dealing with the pandemic to eradicate these concerns at this time," says Mario Canseco, President of Research Co.....

NDPP

Here's How Toronto Landlords Are Dealing With the April Rent Strike

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2020/04/rent-strike-april-1-t...

"...Tenants, listen: Your landlord cannot charge you late fees on your rent. There's a moratorium on evictions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please email me if you are in my riding and your landlord threatens to evict you' - Marit Stiles..."

 

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

The Coronavirus Spurs a Movement of People Reclaiming Vacant Homes

California has the worst housing crisis in the country—so bad that, when Governor Gavin Newsom took office, in 2019, he used his inaugural address to call for a “Marshall Plan for affordable housing,” entailing the construction of 3.5 million housing units by 2025. This month, with an uptick in COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles, and orders from Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti directing city residents to stay home at all costs, activists have turned their attention to hundreds of empty, publicly owned houses. There are thirty-six thousand homeless people in Los Angeles and countless others living in crowded, inadequate, and unstable situations. Wouldn’t they, too, be safer in a home? The acute crisis of the coronavirus, and the paradox of stay-at-home orders for a homeless population, might offer activists a chance to force decisive change.

In mid-March, a group of homeless and housing-insecure people calling themselves the Reclaimers took possession of eleven vacant houses in a quiet working-class neighborhood called El Sereno, east of downtown. The houses are among hundreds that Caltrans, the state’s transportation authority, bought last century, with the goal of demolishing them to make way for an expansion of the 710 Freeway. They were vacant—many of them unoccupied for years. According to Roberto Flores, a tenants-rights activist, after buying the houses, Caltrans rented them out, sometimes to their previous owners, then raised rents precipitously, forcing many of them out. (That’s what happened to him.) Recently, after decades of protest from environmentalists, preservationists, and social-justice activists in El Sereno, South Pasadena, and Pasadena, the freeway project was finally spiked, leaving the real estate in limbo—conspicuous waste amid a catastrophic housing shortage.....

Pondering

You can get relief from paying rents and morgages and utilities or you can get income replacement. No government will provide both.

We don't need rent forgiveness we need reasonable rent and many more co-ops and subsidized housing.

Many people will not make their April rent because they will be waiting for their government cheques. Most landlords will have no problem with that. They will have a problem with people just deciding they don't need to pay rent.

Will this "strike" mean that people won't pay rent in May either?

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..went to check out the cra site.

System maintenance

As a result of systems maintenance in preparation for the launch of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), this service will be temporarily unavailable starting 11 pm on Sunday, April 5, 2020, until 6 am on Monday, April 6, 2020 (Eastern time).

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

..statement

VANCOUVER TENANTS UNION BC

RENTCRISIS.CA Be Safe. Just Stay. Even if you Cannot Pay.

#BCRentCrisis #FoodbeforeRent

The income support offered from different levels of government won’t come in time.

That leaves renters with a choice:

Fend for yourself OR reach out to neighbors going through the same thing. It’s up to us to support one another to get through this. Please don’t suffer alone.

Share your stories. Connect with neighbors. Learn more. Go to bcrentcrisis.ca if you want to safely organize your building under COVID-19. Download the Renter’s Toolkit and other resources to get started.

To meet basic necessities, we need:

• A moratorium on all rents. We won’t go into debt, risk our health or starve our families to pay the rent.

• A deferment of all mortgage payments without accruing interest. No bank should profit off of disaster while tenants pay the price.

• A cancellation of outstanding rents and evictions notices when the eviction moratorium is lifted. We will not bear the brunt of this crisis by losing our homes or wiping away our futures.

If governments won’t take adequate action then renters will.

The Vancouver Tenants Union is organizing buildings across Vancouver to help tenants survive and build their collective power during the BC Rent Crisis. Our Renter’s Toolkit and other resources will help explain your tenant rights, help you safely reach out to your neighbors, help flip the power relationship with your landlord and lobby government for real rent relief.

For members and tenants already talking to their neighbours and for those who want to start, we offer these tools and our support to take action that is right for you. Bring your neighbors online and start planning how to survive this crisis together.

Let’s build the kind of tenant power that can win the housing we all need.

epaulo13 epaulo13's picture

Pages