Listen to the complete audio from the press conference held on the steps of Old City Hall prior to Julian Ichim's court appearance at 11am.
From the Toronto Community Mobilization Network (TCMN) press release:
Three days after starting to blog about his experience at the G20 and with undercover infiltration, activist Julian Ichim was ordered by the OPP to take down a blog post about his personal relationship with one of the undercover cops who infiltrated community organizations across the country in the lead up to the 2010 Olympics and the G20.
For refusing to comply and keeping the blog intact, he is now facing three charges of disobeying a court order and appeared in court at Old City Hall on December 13 at 11:00 a.m. in courtroom 101.
These charges arise from Ichim's refusal to comply with an order received from the OPP that the blog be significantly altered or taken down, with threat of arrest for non-compliance.
When Ichim refused to comply with the order, he told the police that he would remain at his home until arrested, and would go on hunger strike if taken into custody.
“I considered this decision carefully, but the issue is that they are trying to silence us from telling people what happened, commented Ichim. “It's not just a technical argument over a blog, it's a fight over speaking the truth about policing,” he said.
Ichim is the second activist to be charged for blogging about the undercover cops whose testimony was central to the prosecution of the G20 Main Conspiracy Group, of which Ichim had been a part until late 2010.
Activist Dan Kellar has also been charged in relation to a blog post about the same undercover cop. Kellar’s charges originate from before there was any publication ban in place. Ichim’s charges are for violating a temporary publication ban that has been lifted in time since he was charged.
Neither Ichim’s nor Kellar’s charges have been dropped since the publication ban was removed.
Ichim is glad that he is going to get his day in court. “I want to go to
trial,” he said. “I wanted to face these accusations head on and set the
If taken into custody, however, he said that “the hunger strike is still on."
Ichim's blog can be found at http://julianichim.wordpress.com
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.