If it wasn’t bad enough that the Toronto police lied to the public about a new ‘security law’ – passed down by the Government of Ontario – giving them new policing powers during the G20 Summit only to have to later admit that no such law ever existed.

Now, Toronto police are backtracking on another statement they made claiming that rubber bullets were not fired into the crowd outside the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre on Sunday June 27, 2010.

Police spokesperson, Mark Pugash, first told QMI Agency (the Toronto Sun) on Monday July 26, 2010, that no rubber bullets were fired outside the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre only to contact QMI the next day to correct his statement; claiming he had received the wrong information.

Originally, the police would only admit to using rubber bullets on G20 protesters at Queen’s Park.

As the record now stands, the Toronto police admit to using rubber bullets on the crowd of demonstrators performing prisoner justice solidarity in front of the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre on Sunday June 27, 2010.

The correction in statement comes after Natalie Gray of British Columbia went public alleging she was struck by rubber bullets while at the detention centre that Sunday. Along with photographic evidence of the wounds she claims were the result of being struck by rubber bullets twice to her body – once just above the elbow and once to the centre of her chest – Gray informed the media that she intends to sue the Toronto Police Services.

rabble.ca republished her account in a July 27, 2010 article where she describes the circumstances outside the Eastern Avenue Detention Centre on the day in question:

Quote: “As an asthmatic, I had bought a painter’s respirator from a hardware store to cover my face in case chemical weapons were used during the weekend. I had no idea what the weapon behind us was, so as a precaution, I reached into my bag, took out the mask and put it over my face.

Not wanting to have my back to the weapon, I turned to face it while retreating. It was then that I was shot in the sternum. As I went to turn, I was shot again in the elbow, and I immediately hit the ground, falling into the fetal position. I remember simply hoping that someone was on their way to help me, and I knew I couldn’t get up by myself.

A person ran back for me and attempted to help me to my feet, but on my way up, the riot line caught up to us and several police shoved me face first into the pavement. They yelled at me to stop resisting and kneeled on top of me. I was terrified, and lost control of my bladder. All I remember was begging them to be gentle because I was hurt. They then dragged me to my feet and walked me to a nearby cruiser, the officer on my left insisting on gripping my arm over the bullet wound,” she said.


Yet another reason we need a publically transparent and publically accountable inquiry into G20 Summit police actions.

My fear is, if police behaviour goes unchecked, we risk our own version of the Ian Tomlinson tragedy.

Krystalline Kraus

krystalline kraus is an intrepid explorer and reporter from Toronto, Canada. A veteran activist and journalist for rabble.ca, she needs no aviator goggles, gas mask or red cape but proceeds fearlessly...