This has been another heartbreaking month. The number of police shootings in the U.S. is staggering. Check out this interactive map posted on Vox.com, which documents 2,009 police shootings in the U.S. since the shooting in Ferguson, MO.
The backlash against Black Lives Matters Toronto (BLMTO) for stopping the Pride parade and for standing for an investigation of the shootings of Andrew Loku and Jermaine Carby needs to be addressed.
Here are six ways you can support BLM in Canada this week.
You can also sign a petition to support and honour Black Lives Matter.
2. Join the vigils against police violence. Vigils are being held across Canada to protest the killings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. There was a vigil in Edmonton on Saturday and there was a vigil in Vancouver on Sunday. Let us know about other vigils.
3. Support the GoFundme campaigns for the Sterling and Castille families. Scholarship campaigns have been formed for the children, campaign are also being launched to cover legal costs. Contribute if you can.
4. Participate in the anti-racism public community meetings in Ontario: Let's keep demanding change.
5. Police Carding: In 2015, The Globe and Mail contacted 21 police departments across Canada to find out how pervasive carding is in Canada. The results were chilling. Do click through to see the data about departments in your province. There have been some changes being made in municipalities like Toronto since 2015.
6. Learn more: The Toronto Star published this great timeline of the work Black Lives Toronto has been doing. The Black Lives Matter movement is growing and active and, unfortunately, there is a lot of change that still needs to happen to address racism in Canada. Search Facebook and join Black Lives Matter in your community. The inquest into the death of Andrew Loku is ongoing, the deaths of too many people need to be investigated, and a lot of change needs to be made.
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.