Bring some wheels, ride for the Arctic and tour Toronto climate change landmarks, visiting locations showcasing the good, the bad and the hopeful. Learn why Arctic protection matters and visit people in our community taking the power to change into their own hands. Ride with us for a green and peaceful future!
More about Ice Ride:
12 noon: Pre-ride activities includes Ice Ride Art - costumes, decorations and kids activities, tour of Greenpeace geothermal system, lunch, speakers, performance.
1pm Ice Ride Departs, with various location stops on the tour.
Ice Rides are happening in communities around the world on October 4th, 2014. Come with your self-propelled vehicle and energetic friends. Show the Harper government that we want an Arctic Sanctuary, not an Arctic oil spill. Our Toronto ride is also partnering up with Green Energy Doors Open- to showcase families, cooperatives and businesses here in Toronto that are taking local action to kick their addiction to fossil fuel.
Ice Ride Toronto will be:
- A family friendly tour: all ages and abilities welcome, the ride will not be strenuous
- A chance to learn about the Arctic and other global climate issues, as well as local solutions
- A Greenpeace open house, with a tour of our geothermal system, speakers, interactive activities and performances prior to the ride
- Lunch! Enjoy some food before we go!
What to bring:
- Bring your wheels - bike, skateboard, roller blades, or if you’re differently abled, reserve a spot on our accessibility van by emailing: [email protected] by September 26th or ASAP.
- A team: recruit your friends and make your own Ice Ride team!
- Wear blue and come dressed up inspired by the Arctic. Decorate your bike or self-propelled ride - or use our materials upon arrival.
- Dress appropriately for weather - we’re riding rain or shine!
- Your Smartphone to spread the word on social media and participate in online actions, take a photo as you leave home and share it with #iceride
- Water bottle
As climate change melts the Arctic, it becomes a big target for the oil industry. From looking for oil using destructive seismic testing, to dangerous oil drilling in frigid Arctic waters, this pristine region is increasingly under threat. We need a global movement to stop this destruction and build a green energy future. By joining Ice Ride you can show solidarity through action: pressure Arctic states to create an Arctic Sanctuary and show your support for a green energy solutions.
More info: www.savethearctic.org
Ice Ride Toronto endorsing organizations:
Want to get more involved?
Get started campaigning for the Arctic and recruit civil society leaders to sign the Arctic Declaration. Ask your friends to do the same. Visit: www.actforarctic.org
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.