As the economic crisis continues, governments and employers are bringing in
austerity measures, lowering our living standards and working conditions. A
number of unionized workplaces are particular targets, and have the
potential to become key centres of resistance. Listen to and engage with
- Local 1005 Hamilton Steelworkers (facing a lockout and concession demands
at US Steel);
- City of Toronto Municipal Workers from Local 416 (bargaining with the new
Ford administration in Toronto);
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers (dealing with concession-laden bargaining
- Explore what key labour struggles tell us about the general strategy of
business and governments;
- Look at their potential for building resistance across the labour movement
and working class as whole;
- Consider the strategies and political approaches needed to win;
- Build for the January 29th/30th Workers' Assembly Labour Conference
Participate in smaller group discussions, providing a space to analyze,
strategize and build.
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.