An update from the steering committee of the Canadian Boat to Gaza.
As news started to spread that the flotilla plans to sail from Greece on Monday the Israeli media is now reporting on a Greek-Israeli agreement to deliver the flotilla aid supplies destined for Gaza through "existing channels."
Remember, there is NO Greek offer to the flotilla. There is only media reports about a deal between Greece and Israel.
Our goals (CBG and FF-II) have always been clear and central in them is ending the illegal blockade of Gaza. From day one we have maintained that the so called "existing channels" are not adequate and are unacceptable. They have not and will not resolve the problems facing the people of Gaza.
We call on you to continue to pressure Greece to lift the blockade it imposed on the Canadian Boat to Gaza (the Tahrir) and other FF-II boats (details below).
To quote Richard Falk, American professor of international law and a UN appointee to the Palestinian territories: "Greece has no right to detain foreign-flagged ships in its ports other than for purposes of assuring seaworthiness via timely inspection. And they cannot interfere with 'innocent passage' through their territorial waters, and this passage is definitely innocent."
The situation in Greece is changing by the minute. The delegates on Tahrir are in continuous consultation among themselves and are taking their decisions collectively in a democratic way. We support them in whatever decision the will make with our spirits and also with our actions.
Actions planned for the coming days:
11:30 a.m. Monday, July 4 at the Greek Consulate, 1002 Sherbrooke Street West
4:30 p.m. Monday, July 4, rue St-Jean in front of Radio-Canada
12:00 noon Monday, July 4 at the Greek Consulate – 688 W Hastings (near Granville)
11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday July 6, Peace Picnic! Seaforth Peace Flame Park (South end of the Burrard Street Bridge)
5:00 p.m. Monday, July 4 at the Federal Building, 55 Bay Street North
In the event of an emergency (so please watch the Facebook page and the website for updates, we will announce loudly if it happens) 5:30 PM at the corner of Elgin and Wellington, Longevin Block, Prime Minister's Office
12:00 noon to 1:00 PM Tuesday July 5 at Purdy's Wharf near Tower One
If you know of other events please let us know. Send a message with full details to email@example.com
The “Tahrir” is still blocked by Greek authorities from leaving port although all papers are in order. You can see the action on the ground here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375t8FQFxhE
What can I do?
Organize public rallies, vigils, etc. in your area. Focus on the Greek diplomatic mission or choose an effective location in your city to hold an action.
I can't leave my home or office:
- Tweet about the sailing of the Tahrir and the Flotilla. Do try to re-tweet what you see from @CanadaBoatGaza and @Gaza_Bateau you can also change your photo on your Twitter account to the Canada Boat to Gaza logo. You can get this image by saving the logo that is on the top left side of the front page of tahrir.ca. The president of Greece has a Twitter account. Don't forget to include that in your tweets @PrimeministerGR
- Facebook, as soon as you can, please change your photo to the Canada Boat to Gaza logo and you can get all your Facebook friends to do the same. You can find the image to use on our Facebook page on the top left of the front page of tahrir.ca or at http://www.facebook.com/CanadaBoatGaza AND the President of Greece has a Facebook page. Look for George A. Papandreou. You can't post, but you can comment on posts.
- To your email lists : please send out this message of a call to action.
- On your websites and blogs please post this call to action. Please post links to tahrir.ca and our Facebook page on your websites and blogs
- In your windows of your offices, houses, cars or on your bicycles please make and place a symbol for a boat. Try this origami boat http://www.origami-instructions.com/easy-origami-boat.html . Don't forget to write in bold letters "The Tahrir, Canada Boat to Gaza"
- Contact Greek officials , and tell them we are aware of the mass protests happening in Canada, Greece and worldwide in support of the Flotilla. Ask them to let the boats go.
You can phone or email (or both):
Press Office: (613) 232-6796
- Phone your Canadian MPs : You will find contact info here: