This evening at 8 p.m., Canadians in communities from coast to coast will take to the streets to voice their support for Quebec's student movement, and opposition to Quebec's Bill 78. Dubbed 'Casseroles Night in Canada', the event will see meet-ups in over 60 communities in Canada, from Saltspring Island to St John's, as well as international rallies in London, Paris, Washington, New York and other locations.
People will meet to bang pots and pans in the street, in protests modeled after the now famous "Casseroles" which have taken place across Quebec each night since the introduction of Bill 78. Over 15,000 have already confirmed their attendance through the national Facebook group dedicated to this protest, or the pages of local meet-ups, and organizers expect turnout may be double that number.
The name Casseroles Night in Canada comes from rabble's correspondent in Montreal on the Quebec student strike, Ethan Cox. His articles on the popular movement in Quebec have been generating a lot of discussion for the past week.
Today's pots and pans protests have generated even more political discussion, and it's no surprise that rabble's bloggers across the country are weighing in. Syed Hussan reflects on the form our protests take, while David Climenhaga notes that the spirit of Quebec's casseroles has made it through even the wall of a hostile media in Alberta and elsewhere in English Canada.
All in all, it's a beautiful day across Canada. Judy Rebick, writing from Calgary, explains the political significance of this moment: "for the first time in my lifetime there is a solidarity movement growing in Canada for the people of Quebec.
rabble will be reporting on (and, where possible, live tweeting from) the Casseroles tonight, and will continue to cover this movement. krystalline kraus, our correspondent on all things Occupy-related, will look at how the energy of other social movements is spilling over into solidarity efforts with Quebec.
For all the latest, follow #CasserolesNightInCanada and #CNIC on Twitter. To find your local event, you can consult the event facebook page here. We also share the listing of events here - we'll try to update, as new locations keep joining by the hour.
'Casseroles Night in Canada': Local events
- Bridgewater, Nova Scotia:
- Calgary: Calgary's Red Square, 8 Avenue at 1 Street SW
- Courtenay BC: May 30, 8PM Court House, Peace Park, Across from Thrifty's https://www.facebook.com/events/152361371563945/
- Cumberland, BC: Meet at Corre Alice Gallery - casserole is joining with book launch that starts 7pm: http://www.thecumberlander.ca/go1228e/Surrealist_Book_Launch_at_Corre_Alice_Gallery_May_30
-Edmonton, Gazebo Park http://www.facebook.com/events/241487335960915/
- Gaspésie, Chandler, marche à 19h, rue commerciale, départ de l'église et casseroles à 20h :)
- Guelph, ON, May 30, 8PM 2 Rivers Community Garden, Huron Street https://www.facebook.com/events/336015149805050/
- Guelph 2: Guelph City Hall http://www.facebook.com/events/444067248939196/
-Halfmoon Bay, BC, corner of Cooper and Connor Roads
- Halifax: Victoria Park, May 30, 8PM https://www.facebook.com/events/356301801101923/
- Hamilton: Gore Park 8pm May 30
- Kamloops, BC: This will start 5pm May 30 http://www.facebook.com/events/398477186871477/
- Kelowna, BC: At the Sails downtown 8pm http://www.facebook.com/events/469083733106977/
- Kitchener-Waterloo, ON: Kitchener City Hall, May 30, 8PM. https://www.facebook.com/events/285866524843697/
- Lethbridge, Alberta: https://www.facebook.com/events/356254727774887/
-Little Rock, Arkansas, May 30, 6PM CST, Meet at 4th and Ferry and march downtown (Occupy Little Rock FB page) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Little-Rock/203956686340262
- London, ON: "So in London, Ont. we will be doing a cacerolazo tonight (Sunday) and perhaps Tuesday as well. Wednesday Maude Barlow of the Council of Canadians is speaking -- so perhaps we should we step outside from that event with our pots & pans for 15 minutes."
- London, ON #2 TUESDAY MAY 29 https://www.facebook.com/events/296714847085116/
- London, ON #3 WEDNESDAY MAY 30: http://www.facebook.com/events/140462316088217/
- London, UK: http://www.facebook.com/events/314679138616523/
- Madison, Wisconsin: http://www.facebook.com/events/364809540246875/
- Matane, Gaspésie, QC: http://www.facebook.com/events/394096323963088/
- Moncton, NB: Event info here https://www.facebook.com/events/391338430907267/?notif_t=plan_user_invited
- Montreal + Quebec, see the map at http://goo.gl/maps/R3oF
- Nelson, BC: http://www.facebook.com/events/320742161335910/
- New York City
- Niagara/St Catherines May 30 7:30pm http://www.facebook.com/events/314188628662357/
- Oshawa, ON: 8pm May 30 at King St & Centre St http://www.facebook.com/events/161299047334798/
- Ottawa: Four locations! https://www.facebook.com/events/319020784842665/
- Peterborough, ON: May 30, 8PM. Confederation Park https://www.facebook.com/events/161740170623072/
- Providence Bay, ON: On the boardwalk 8pm May 30
- Regina: Meet up 8pm in front of Safeway on 13th Ave:
- Roberts Creek, BC: Meet at the Roberts Creek Hall 8pm May 30
- Salt Spring Island, BC http://www.facebook.com/events/448795351797904/448993491778090/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity
- Saskatoon, May 30 Meet at Rotary Park http://www.facebook.com/events/339899092748052/
- Sudbury, May 30 pm Meet in front of Cranky Joe's http://www.facebook.com/events/276526045778538/
- St John's, Newfoundland: Harbourside Park, 8PM, May 30 https://www.facebook.com/events/340765122662392/
- Tatamagouche, NS 8PM, May 30, Meet in front of Fables bar, 259 Main St https://www.facebook.com/events/370473613013954/
- Toronto: Dufferin Grove Park (875 Dufferin St.) 8pm
- Toronto #2: Leslieville http://www.facebook.com/events/222955611155104/
- Toronto #3: Rally for the east end of downtown Toronto: Winchester Park: http://www.facebook.com/events/260307904077087/
- Toronto #4 Seaton Village: http://www.facebook.com/events/425457310820641/?context=create
- Toronto #5: Toronto Poets and Friends, meet at the NW corner of Grace and Harbord.
- Toronto #6: Harbord & Huron, heading west toward Dufferin www.facebook.com/events/313742542042937/
- Toronto #8 Parkdale Feeder: http://www.facebook.com/events/229319977170862/
-Trois-Rivières, Québec, Parc Champlain
- Vancouver: Vancouver Art Gallery (at Hornby) May 30 8pm: http://www.facebook.com/events/389560671090202/
- Vancouver 2: Commercial Street neighbourhood gathering: http://www.facebook.com/events/231428226968810/
- Victoria: Centennial Square, meet up May 30, 7pm, http://www.facebook.com/events/387070784673188/
- Washington, DC: https://www.facebook.com/events/150370781754310
- Whitehorse: http://www.facebook.com/events/274591929306039/
- Winnipeg, MB Meet up May 30, 8PM, Manitoba Legislative Building, 450 Broadway, Winnipeg https://www.facebook.com/events/105793619562147/
- Winnipeg 2, THURSDAY May 31 7PM - West Broadway Neighborhood Centre field on Young Street. Just south of Young and Broadway. https://www.facebook.com/events/208570245930346?ref=bookmark
- Wolfville, NS https://www.facebook.com/events/373075686086376/
Thank you for reading this story...
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all. But media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our only supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help.
If everyone who visits rabble and likes it chipped in a couple of dollars per month, our future would be much more secure and we could do much more: like the things our readers tell us they want to see more of: more staff reporters and more work to complete the upgrade of our website.
We’re asking if you could make a donation, right now, to set rabble on solid footing in 2017.