The Iranian Canadian Congress has been a strong advocate for the interests of Iranian Canadians. Now in the wake of the horrible outcome of Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752, it is important for progressives who would like to be allies to the Iranian-Canadian community to be aware of this organization. The ICC wrote a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asking to be a partner as the community works for justice and for de-escalation of the Trump administration’s escalation.
In the longer term, the ICC is actively advocating for the following priority issues:
- Improving the accreditation process of foreign trained professionals
- Re-establishing relations between Canada and Iran
- Eliminating banking restrictions negatively affecting Iranian Canadians
- Combating racism and discrimination
- Granting permanent residents (PR) voting rights in municipal elections
- Increasing the participation of Iranian Canadians in Canada’s political parties