1. Vegetables are not vegetarian. Tomatoes rotting on the vine? Add fish emulsion. Zucchini leaves yellowing? Add blood meal. Wilting plants? Disembowel a neighbourhood cat... you get the idea.
2. Eggplants grow on a bush, not on the ground as I always imagined. Who knew? Not this person from Northern Alberta.
3. If there is not a personality test that uses bumblebee/wasp/hornet as its array of results, someone should design one. You know "People who are bumblebees work pleasantly together, hornets are silently efficient, wasps come in and get what they need, destroying everything in their wake."
Perfect for the corporate world.
4. I should have planted potatoes.
5. The gardener's personal schedule is irrelevant to your plants. Patientez.
6. What you want? Squirrels want it.
7. Where the car parks is irrelevant to your pumpkin plant.
8. Scared of spiders? Don't bother with that phobia anymore. They eat the bugs that eat your vegetables. When they're hunched over a beetle or a fly, injecting venom before fixedly sucking out its blood while the live meal thrashes against its fate, each of the spider's eight legs and eyes focused on its deadly task, it is a gardener's friend.
Hey don't look so grossed out. Oh, and you've got something on your shoulder.
9. Do not plant so many zucchini.
Meagan Perry is the Executive Producer of rabble's Podcast Network and has some extra zucchini if you want some.
Thank you for reading this story…
More people are reading rabble.ca than ever and unlike many news organizations, we have never put up a paywall – at rabble we’ve always believed in making our reporting and analysis free to all, while striving to make it sustainable as well. Media isn’t free to produce. rabble’s total budget is likely less than what big corporate media spend on photocopying (we kid you not!) and we do not have any major foundation, sponsor or angel investor. Our main supporters are people and organizations -- like you. This is why we need your help. You are what keep us sustainable.
rabble.ca has staked its existence on you. We live or die on community support -- your support! We get hundreds of thousands of visitors and we believe in them. We believe in you. We believe people will put in what they can for the greater good. We call that sustainable.
So what is the easy answer for us? Depend on a community of visitors who care passionately about media that amplifies the voices of people struggling for change and justice. It really is that simple. When the people who visit rabble care enough to contribute a bit then it works for everyone.
And so we’re asking you if you could make a donation, right now, to help us carry forward on our mission. Make a donation today.